Sunday, July 11, 2004

Mailart Replacement Service

One of the strange eventualities of announcing online what mailart I’ve created and whom I’ve sent it to is that a correspondent might notice when a piece of mail I’ve sent hasn’t arrived. This has just happened with Mark Lamoureux, who didn’t receive his copy of “AfHtJI” (qbdp # 9), so tonight I’ve made him a replacement copy.

But I used a different kind of postcard, one with a surface that is fairly non-porous. Now I worry that the fidgetglyph riding on the belly of that postcard will become rubbed off during transport. I may have to slip the card into an envelope to protect it during its trek.

un violon d’ingres

3 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, July 11, 2004, Blogger j0llyr0ger said...

Is not, perhaps, a postcard in an envelope somehow like decaffeinated coffee?

To the j0llyr0ger, at least, a great part of the magic of postcard is the no of an envelope for the mailing.

The power of this postcard magic can sometimes be enhanced in the delivery despite of the with substandard materials produced card itself...

 
At 10:34 PM, July 12, 2004, Blogger Geof Huth said...

j0llyr0ger,

It definitely is. That's why I hated to push it into an envelope, but otherwise the object at the end of the process would be little more than a smudge.

A hard choice, so I sent Mark a few other things in the envelope as well.

Geof

 
At 3:11 AM, July 20, 2004, Blogger michael said...

I actually like decaffinated coffee though rarely drink the stuff. I prefer the real thing but it gives me a headache! I see the dilemma though. I quite often send postcards inside an envelope and even envelopes inside envelopes such as the one with unfranked postage returned to Ed Giecek yesterday. I quite like the idea of that "russian doll" effect of things inside things inside other things - I like surprises, and mail art should be surprising otherwise it can be deadly dull like 95% of ther stuff I get these days!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home