Sunday, December 05, 2004

DAY SEE (qbdp # 38)

Well, this is a little strange. A week ago, I begin creating a mailart mailing. These usually go out the day of creation, but I had troubles with this one.

First, I wanted to print (via an inkjet printer) a single visual poem on photo paper. No matter what I tried I couldn't get the poem to print on the paper correctly. Only a tiny bit of the image would print. So I took a screen shot of the poem in its natural environment (PageMaker 6.5), and I was able to print that version onto the paper.

Next, I had to glue fifteen little sheets of paper onto some cream-colored card. I don't relish gluing ever, but I succeeded. Unfortunately, then I had to press the cards flat, so I waited overnight.

The next day, a Monday, I took out the cards and rubberstamped them (with my address and the word "Postcard") and inscribed some colophonic information. By that time, the cards were ready. However, I waited until Tuesday, November 30th, to add the stamps, the addresses, and the notes.

On Wednesday, I mailed them off. On Thursday, I made a scan of my archival version. For two days, I rested. Then, today, I finally wrote this entry.

It takes me a while.

The remarkably lucky recipients of this card, which still curls quite a bit from the glue, are as follows:

1/15 Ruth and Marvin Sackner

2/15 Bob Grumman

3/15 Roy Arenella

4/15 kiyotei

5/15 Mick Boyle

6/15 Qpidoremix

7/15 Ruud Janssen

8/15 jcsyntheticsuk

9/15 Reed Altemus

10/15 Ficus strangulensis

11/15 j0llyr0ger

12/15 Scott McDonald

13/15 Scott Helmes

14/15 Erin Huth

15/15 qbdp


Geof Huth, "DAY SEE (OHH IIO)" (30 Nov 2004)


un violon d'ingres

3 comments:

Geofhuth said...

j0lly,

Wonderful little essay as comment here! Thanks for contributing.

Yeah, my gluing messed up, but that was my fault. I added too much glue. I bought a different glue-distributing bottle of glue the other day, so I'll try that the next time.

Because this postcard like a cooper's curving stave is ridiculous! (My great-grandfather was a cooper, by the way.)

Geof

Anonymous said...

only minor curling at a corner tip. What inktjet printer do you use? my inkjet prints are not waterproof.

Geofhuth said...

My inkjet printer is a cheapo HP DeskJet 712C. No inkjet printers' output is waterproof--one of the drawbacks of the imprinting method, archivally speaking.

Geof