Sunday, December 05, 2004

DAY SEE (qbdp # 38)

Well, this is a little strange. A week ago, I begin creating a mailart mailing. These usually go out the day of creation, but I had troubles with this one.

First, I wanted to print (via an inkjet printer) a single visual poem on photo paper. No matter what I tried I couldn't get the poem to print on the paper correctly. Only a tiny bit of the image would print. So I took a screen shot of the poem in its natural environment (PageMaker 6.5), and I was able to print that version onto the paper.

Next, I had to glue fifteen little sheets of paper onto some cream-colored card. I don't relish gluing ever, but I succeeded. Unfortunately, then I had to press the cards flat, so I waited overnight.

The next day, a Monday, I took out the cards and rubberstamped them (with my address and the word "Postcard") and inscribed some colophonic information. By that time, the cards were ready. However, I waited until Tuesday, November 30th, to add the stamps, the addresses, and the notes.

On Wednesday, I mailed them off. On Thursday, I made a scan of my archival version. For two days, I rested. Then, today, I finally wrote this entry.

It takes me a while.

The remarkably lucky recipients of this card, which still curls quite a bit from the glue, are as follows:

1/15 Ruth and Marvin Sackner

2/15 Bob Grumman

3/15 Roy Arenella

4/15 kiyotei

5/15 Mick Boyle

6/15 Qpidoremix

7/15 Ruud Janssen

8/15 jcsyntheticsuk

9/15 Reed Altemus

10/15 Ficus strangulensis

11/15 j0llyr0ger

12/15 Scott McDonald

13/15 Scott Helmes

14/15 Erin Huth

15/15 qbdp


Geof Huth, "DAY SEE (OHH IIO)" (30 Nov 2004)


un violon d'ingres

4 comments:

j0llyr0ger said...

Just as treasured as the spontenaity of mail art, that is making something and sending it NOW (it is this it is), also the opposite is good.

As a process of more than just making- this card is great. Appreciated, as it was it is even more now hearing of the overnightage of glue (rubber cement may not be archival, but it's propensity to not curl is a virtue) and the simple waiting for the rubberstamp (it's very cool by the way- where did you get it?) and postage stamps.

The card was there, steeping in thy presence as a thing growing softly in dimensions more than just tangispatial.

In the j0llyr0ger's little green mail art box (toted diligently around with him most of the time for when the inspiration hits) are 3 completed and one incomplete postcards. The oldest one was finished 3 to 4 months (at least) ago and has waited since then for the right day and the selection of the proper recipient.

Longly doth it wait, developing in layers a patina of time like a metphysical pearl of art in the dark void of the j0llyr0ger's computer bag (which no longer holds a computer but such ecclecticities as his small red NIV, a fat envelope of HATs, a National Geographic from 1964, a Springfield, MO map from ages ago to be used as custom transport vectors, some things from John M. Bennett, small journal books, a pack of CDs, and the abovementioned green mail art box).

This mail art has, like good cheese or beef, been AGED and that can be a good thing.

Geof Huth said...

j0lly,

Wonderful little essay as comment here! Thanks for contributing.

Yeah, my gluing messed up, but that was my fault. I added too much glue. I bought a different glue-distributing bottle of glue the other day, so I'll try that the next time.

Because this postcard like a cooper's curving stave is ridiculous! (My great-grandfather was a cooper, by the way.)

Geof

Anonymous said...

only minor curling at a corner tip. What inktjet printer do you use? my inkjet prints are not waterproof.

Geof Huth said...

My inkjet printer is a cheapo HP DeskJet 712C. No inkjet printers' output is waterproof--one of the drawbacks of the imprinting method, archivally speaking.

Geof