Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Gates of Fire: "Ever now a thought" (qbdp # 44)

Hilton New York, Room 3213, New York, New York

I began work on this little mailart card long before Nancy, Tim, and I arrived in this hotel room. I originally created (with crayon and colored pencil) the visual poem that graces the front of the card back in the 1980s, when few visual poems in color were ever seen outside the home of the poem. The slight yellow haze to this card is actually the yellowing of the low-quality paper upon which I affixed the text. (I use bright, stiff, high-quality paper nowadays.)

I created the card itself by sending a high-resolution image to a commercial vendor, which then created this micro-run of ten cards on glossy cardstock. They even printed that part of the colophon that I could print ahead of time, everything except the exact date, the sequential number, and the location from which I sent the card.


Geof Huth, "Ever now a thought"
(qbdp # 45 [Obverse], 20 Feb 2005)

Once in the hotel room, I added that information, the addresses, and notes. All of this extra text appears in orange ink to memorialize our visit to Christo and Jeanne-Claude's "The Gates" in Central Park.


Geof Huth, "Ever now a thought"
(qbdp # 45 [Obverse], 20 Feb 2005)

The lucky recipients of this card are as follows:

1/10 Ruth and Marvin Sackner

2/10 Bob Grumman

3/10 Roy Arenella

4/10 Bob Brueckl

5/10 Ruud Janssen

6/10 j0llyr0ger

7/10 kiyotei

8/10 Mick Boyle

9/10 Jassy Lupa

10/10 qbdp

The visual poem, by the way, is a story about watching a campfire.

un violon d'ingres

No comments: