Monday, March 07, 2005

The Dictionary of Drawn Words, Card by Card

Roy explains, on the back of this card to me, that he has since the beginning of this year been gathering together the scraps of paper upon which he has affixed "drawn words" and that he is re-drawing them into a small notebook. This first drawn word is "OTHER" but with the central "THE" drawn bold and tall. The central word somehow defines the entire word, bringing attention to the the-ness of the other.

Remarkably, this reminds me of my own "Interior Definitions," a small collection of self-defining words, of words defined by other words held within their interiors. But Roy's drawn words are less obvious than my creations.


Roy Arenella, "OTHER" (12 Jan 2005)

Only with the aid of a photographer's loupe could I determine that the number within the pseudo-cancellation mark, virtually crowded out by a giant R.-Crumb-like drawing of a surprised or worried man, is 63C.

un violon d'ingres

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the title of this card is actually "The Other", as that is what is written in the fine print at the bottom of the card (as best as i can make out).

endwar