Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Art of It: "Rt" (qbdp # 57)

Still Point, Caroga Lake, New York

The summer has begun because my family is spending the long weekend in our "ancestral" camp (cottage) by the shore of East Caroga Lake. Being away from home, I felt compelled to create some mailart, so I took one of the shortest visual poems I've ever made (a mere 1.5 letters in length, a creation of last night's experiments with my new steel pens [a birthday present]) and affixed it to the outside of an envelope the inside of which is a detailed road map. Inside the envelope, I placed a sheet of paper holding a failed experiment from last night's inking. This sheet I folded "message" side out, the reverse of expectations, so that the recipient will unfold it to find no message at all. Of course, this is a riff on the envelope that carries the message. But I explained myself further with a note affixed to the premlip of the envelope: "the carrier of the message." I also "signed" the envelope with my calligraphic poem signature (little used): f.


Geof Huth, "Rt" (28 May 2005)

The people who will receive a copy of "Rt" (qbdp # 57, Scrapmail # 3) are as follows:

1/10 Ruth and Marvin Sackner

2/10 Bob Grumman

3/10 Roy Arenella

4/10 Mick Boyle

5/10 Ruud Janssen

6/10 Reed Altemus

7/10 Jassy Lupa

8/10 frips

9/10 Gustave Morin

10/10 qbdp

un violon d'ingres

No comments: