Thursday, August 19, 2004

In the Manner of Bloomer: rhjly (qbdp # 21)

Still Point, Garlock Road, Caroga Lake, NY

Even now, the night before my family and I head out of this small town on a lake and drive a couple of hours before beginning a hike into the woods, I still feel compelled to put out a litte qbdp card. The focus of this one is the only fidgetglyph I completed today. It is small and a bit spidery, but it seems well disposed for its particular card.

The card I chose was a very thin and cheaply made card we used to distribute from my place of business (the New York State Archives). But on the face of it is a scratched and washed-out photograph of Amelia Jenks Bloomer, after whom "bloomers" were named. (I hope this card is sturdy enough to make it through the mail to all of its intended recipients.)

On the back of the card (the message side), I've wrawn the five-letter glyph on a slant in five different colors. On the front of the card, I've written the last letter of the word, the stylized letter y. Out of context, on the side of that pedestal, it appears at first to be a foreign character, inscrutable.

To me, rhjly, with its letters generally alternating ascenders and descenders, now means "in the manner of Bloomer." Long may her bloomers wave!

These are the recipients of "rhjly":

1/7 Ruth and Marvin Sackner

2/7 Bob Grumman

3/7 Roy Arenella

4/7 Ficus strangulensis

5/7 kiyotei

6/7 endwar

7/7 qbdp


Geof Huth, "rhjly" (19 Aug 2004)

un violon d'ingres

No comments: