Sunday, August 22, 2004

Sylvan Mailart (qbdp # 22 & 23)
and the Cards of Ficus

Camping by Pharaoh Mountain

While still at Caroga Lake this morning, I decorated eight cards with a colorful emmy fidgetglyph. Using a total of 17 ems, I wrew a map of the campsite Nancy, Erin, Tim, and I inhabited this weekend. I called this glyph “Camping by Pharaoh Mountain” (qbdp # 23) and made copies for these recipients:

1/8 Ruth and Marvin Sackner

2/8 Bob Grumman

3/8 Roy Arenella

4/8 endwar

5/8 kiyotei

6/8 Ficus strangulensis

7/8 Kandyce Sprung (Postmistress, Caroga Lake, NY)

8/8 qbdp


Geof Huth, "Camping by Pharaoh Mountain" (22 Aug 2004)

Ficus

Once at home, I was greeted by another package of mailart by retiree Ficus strangulensis. Discussing my “A slit beside,” he admits having trouble interpreting poetry before noting that he has “equally less conscious reason in what [he does] but equally undecipherable.” Then he tosses into the envelope a few cards carrying his inscrutable verbo-visual creations.


Ficus strangulensis, untitled (16 Aug 2004)

Finishing “Loonless Pond”

I could not finish my birchbark creation, “Loonless Pond,” in the woods the other day, so once I returned home today I found four moss green envelopes, addressed them in green, and attached stamps carrying images of Isamu Noguchi’s sculptures (a few of which I pass frequently in my underground travels at work in Albany, New York). Inside the envelope, I placed the three strips of birchbark within a fold of Mylar film, and I placed two strips of stiff pH-neutral paper on either side of that bundle.

un violon d’ingres

1 comment:

Wastedpapiers said...

They are all suitably enigmatic.