Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Fulcrum-Triangle-Heart-Diamond Thought

I hesitate to say anything about this card--it is such a perfect intellectual whole by itself that any commentary by me could ruin it. So find both sides of his postcard below.

It is hard, however, to avoid a few simple comments. Roy is still mulling over my micro-essay, "Collards and Poetry." This is card # 455 p/c (a photocard, and the 455th mailing of the year). In his notes on the reverse of the card, Roy asks, "Does this genre [visual poetry] give the mind lever-/age over the heart?" Maybe it does, but look at how Roy leverages the word "leverage" by tmetically severing it into "lever" (the center of the pun on the obverse of the card) and "age" (time, oldness, era). Then he places a red heart within a triangle within his pseudo-cancellation mark. Notice how the heart (within triangle) replicates the heart (found within a diamond shape) on the postage stamp he has chosen.

Always, as Roy Arenella always says, connect.


Roy Arenella, "cLever" (15 Mar 2004)



Roy Arenella, Note on the reverse of "cLever" (12 Nov 2004)

un violon d'ingres

4 comments:

Ruud Janssen said...

This is fun. Only a few days ago I received also a photocard from Roy and posted it on my BLOG. Because of these blogs I can now see what a single person sends out into the network. I keep on being fascinated by this Internet. Even when I already use the Internet for over a decade.

Ruud
iuoma.blogspot.com

Geofhuth said...

Ruud,

Same with me. This year, so far as I can tell, has been the year of the mailart weblog, and it's making things even more interesting. It also helps make more mailart more accessible.

Downside: Whoa, lots of work for those of us with blogs!

Geof

kiyotei & aimee said...

Geof,

Great statement. I think we should officially declare this "The Year of the MailArt Blog."

I have had my blog since 2001, but the technology has greatly improved and has made it much easier to design, edit and host images than when blogs first began. A large part of this is due to the fact that Google snapped up blogger.com and made these advances possible.

It is truly educational to watch the mail art postings on the various blogs now and see the connections between artists bloom and mutate.

FYI - Livejournal.com also has a great collection of mailart "blogs" and their network has been active for several years now.

Geofhuth said...

kiyotei,

Thanks for the historical note. I, of course, knew your blog was around beforehand, but I only assumed there were others. But this year there's been a critical mass that's made this a real movement of sorts. All of it is part of the mailart tendency towards self-documentation.

And, whoa! do I have lots of postings to do today.

Geof