Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Woman Inside

Jassy Lupa sent me a long thin envelope she had constructed out of the stiff glossy pages of a fashion magazine. Inside of this envelope, she has inserted a long white sheet with four self-portraits--the first three on paper vellum glued along their top edges to the page, and the last being a carved stamping. She did a series of these mailings (apparently eleven of them), and I saw one on the Web someplace, but I can't remember where.

An interesting (intentional?) message here: that inside each glossy young woman there resides the old woman she will become. But what is our assessment of beauty?

Oh, she also chastises (admonishes, maybe--that's a bit milder) me not to disparage the mailart I send her. I will endeavor to do so!


Jassy Lupa, [Woman, Inside and Outside] (April 2005)

un violon d'ingres

No comments: