Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Wisz

Ruud Janssen sends me one of his most beautiful word paintings.

Strangely, only just now have I realized the similarity between Ruud's paintings and the word paintings of the more famous Ed Ruscha. But Ruud's I appreciate more. They are more playful, in general, than Ruscha's--certainly verbally, but also visually. Their use of color is much more pleasing to me, and that is certainly the case in this painting, which is one of my favorites. The orange and the light-green complement and compete with each other quite well.


In his note, Ruud says he's glad to hear that I had visited Roy and Martine Arenella last month, and he also told me that I might have heard of his recent marriage, which I had.

un violon d'ingres

1 comment:

Ruud Janssen said...

Hi Geof,

Thanks agani forn the nice words. Glad too to hbear you liked the WISZ. It is one out of a series. Since you already have quite a serie of my cards, expect a few more.... The colours are made alive too with special acrylic paints. Silver, bronz and gold together with yellow and green make a splendid combination.